Santa Clara is a city near San Jose, California, with a population of approximately 109,000. The city is known to have started a john school program in the 1990s, but was probably short-lived. Men in the Santa Clara john school were included in a sample of john school participants for a study of the clients of prostituted women (Monto, 2000). Currently, the Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office occasionally arrests sex buyers, and prosecutors send some to the First Offender Prostitution Program (john school) in San Francisco.
- Santa Clara Police Department
- Reverse Stings:
- Monto, M.A. (2000). Focusing on the Clients of Street Prostitutes: A Creative Approach to Reducing Violence Against Women. Final Report submitted to the National Institute of Justice. Award Number: 97-IJ-CX-0033. Available at: www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/182860.pdf.
- Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Police in Santa Clara Initiate Investigation against Massage Parlor”, San Jose Mercury News, December 3 1994.
- “Massage Parlor May Be Shut Down over Illicit Sex Acts, Police Say”, San Jose Mercury News, December 4 1996.
- “South Bay Prostitution Ring Shut Down, Police Say”, San Jose Mercury News, September 9 2010.
- “Ten People Indicted in Bay Area Prostitution Ring”, San Jose Mercury News, October 24 2014.