Jersey City is an urban community of about 250,000 in the New York City metro area, situated between Newark and Manhattan. Prostitution, sex trafficking, and prostitution-related violence have been identified as substantial problems in the city.
To combat consumer-level demand for commercial sex, the Jersey City Police Department has conducted reverse stings, and seized the vehicles and publicized the identities of arrestees. A comprehensive approach including reverse stings was found to have reduced prostitution in the city. In a rigorous field experiment, Weisburd and colleagues (2006) found a 75% reduction in observed and reported prostitution from a comprehensive approach that included combating demand through reverse stings. The evaluation design tested for displacement effects, and the researchers concluded that the reductions were not attributable to simply pushing the problem to other areas of the city. However, the comprehensive nature of the intervention prevents attributing the positive effects to the demand piece or any other single component of the program.
- Jersey City Police Department
- Street-Level Reverse Stings with Shaming:
- “Hooker Sweep Nets 27,” Jersey Journal, February 26 1999.
- “Several ‘Johns’ Are Arrested in Greenville Prostitution Sweep,” Jersey Journal, August 14 2003.
- “Cops Nab 20 in Prostitution Sting,” Jersey Journal, June 11 2005.
- Weisburd, D., Wyckoff, L.A., Ready, J., Eck, J.E., Hinkle, J.C., & Gajewski, F. (2006). Does Crime Just Move around the Corner? A Controlled Study of Special Displacement and Diffusion of Crime Control Benefits. Criminology, 44(3):549-591.
- “Jersey City Police Chief Touts Crackdown on Streetwalkers,” Jersey Journal, November 22 2010.
- “Police: 21 Hookers, 13 Johns Busted,” Jersey Journal, November 22 2010.
- “‘Greenville Is under Armed Siege,” Jersey Journal, November 23 2010.
- Proposed Auto Seizure:
- “Fulop: Cops Should Seize Vehicles from Drug Buyers, Johns,” Jersey Journal, March 23 2007.
- “Take a Prostitute? City May Take Your Car; Fight at Council after Fulop Proposes Forfeiture of Cars for Prostitution, Drugs,” Hudson Reporter Publications, April 23 2007.
- Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “From Asia to Work in Heights Brothel,” Jersey Journal, March 27 2004.
- “Police Say He Tried to Buy Sex with Girls,” Jersey Journal, October 24 2007.
- “Jersey City Cops: 20-Year-Old Ohio Woman Held against Her Will by ‘Pimp’ at Society Hill Housing Complex Freed Saturday,” Jersey Journal, February 15 2009.
- “She Defies ‘Pimp'; Cops: Ohio Woman Escapes Prostitution Ring,” Jersey Journal, February 16 2009.
- “Jersey City Man Pleads Guilty to Leading Major Human Trafficking, Prostitution Ring,” U.S. Federal News Service, April 2 2010.
- “Jersey City Pimp’s 73-Year-Old Mother Pleads Guilty to Role in Brutal Prostitution Ring,” Jersey Journal, April 24 2010.
- “Jersey City Man Sentenced to 18 Years in State Prison for Leading Human Trafficking and Prostitution Ring,” U.S. Federal News Service, May 20 2010.
- “Woman Sentenced to Prison for Acting as Boss over Prostitutes in Jersey City Human Trafficking Ring,” U.S. Federal News Service, May 22 2010.
- “Jersey City’s ‘Prince the Pimp’ Dies in Prison,” Jersey Journal, December 28 2011.
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “One-Woman Sex Business Shut Down,” Jersey Journal, October 12 1999.
- “5 Prostitution Arrests at Spa,” Jersey Journal, January 15 2002.
- “Fancy Spa Was Really a Brothel, Police Say,” Jersey Journal, February 20 2004.
- “4 Massage Parlors Shut, Prostitution Charges for 10 People, Police Report,” Jersey Journal, February 4 2005.
- “Nine Arrests in Drive on Prostitution,” Jersey Journal, September 14 2006.
- “‘Ladies of the Night’ Still a Presence; Prostitution a Problem in Jersey City,” Hudson Reporter Publications, February 18 2007.
- “2 Women Facing Prostitution Charges,” Jersey Journal, May 7 2010.
- “‘John’ Caught with Pants Down; 3 Prostitution Arrests after Tips to Police,” Jersey Journal, April 2 2013.
- “Two Jersey City Municipal Workers Arrested within Two Weeks; Mayor Fulop Vows to Install GPS in All City Vehicles,” Hudson Reporter Publications, July 11 2013.
- “Jersey City Police Shut ‘Parlor'; Cops Charge Prostitution,” Jersey Journal, August 5 2013.
- “Jersey City Police Raid Heights ‘Brothel’,” Jersey Journal, November 5 2013.
- “Jersey City Fire Inspector Admits Accepting Bribes for Official Assistance with Prostitution Businesses,” U.S. Federal News Service, November 15 2014.
- Documented Violence against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
- “Van Drags Woman, Breaking Her Leg,” Jersey Journal, July 10 1999.
- “Neighbors: Cops Were Told of Prostitution,” Jersey Journal, April 19 2006.
- “Roughed up and Robbed after Picking up Prostitute,” Jersey Journal, July 31 2008.
- “Is It a Serial Killer? Cops Not Sure If British Local Woman among Bodies,” Jersey Journal, December 15 2010.
- “Third Brooklyn Man Charged with Posing as Cop in Kidnapping and Rape of Prostitute Abducted in North Bergen and Dumped from Car in Jersey City 3rd Suspect Sought in Rape of Prostitute by Fake Cops,” Jersey Journal, September 21 2011.
- “Third Man Charged with Posing as Cop in Kidnapping, Rape of Prostitute Abducted in North Bergen,” Jersey Journal, September 21 2011.
- “Jersey City Pimp, Wanted for Stabbing a Prostitute, Caught in Louisiana after 5 Years,” Jersey Journal, November 8 2011.
- “More than Five Years of Running Ends as Alleged Pimp Is Formally Charged with Killing Jersey City Prostitute; Fugitive Caught Last Month in Louisiana Fugitive Murder Suspect in CJP after 5 Years,” Jersey Journal, November 8 2011.
- “Search Sparked by Missing Jersey City Prostitute Is Inconclusive,” Jersey Journal, December 6 2011.
- “Skeletal Remains Believed to Be from Missing Jersey City Prostitute Found in Long Island Marshland,” Jersey Journal, December 14 2011.