This intervention involves organized, community-led initiatives. Neighborhood action can involve activities such as routinely forwarding tips to police, conducting citizen patrols, operating citizen-led blogs, or launching billboard campaigns. Some neighborhood organizations participate in “community impact panels” or make presentations at john schools. We know of more than 150 U.S. cities and counties that have engaged in some form of neighborhood-led action focused on combating demand for commercial sex.
To learn more about these types of community-led interventions, access the resources provided below.
Overview of Neighborhood Action Against Sex Buyers in the U.S.
Materials from Neighborhood Group in Rochester, New York
- Form for residents to provide johns’ license plates and tips to police: Lyell 230 Tip Sheet (DOC, 97.3KB)
- Press release about Rochester’s “Dear John” campaign: Lyell Press Release, July 6, 2009 (PDF, 74.7KB)
- Print image for Rochester’s “Dear John” campaign: Lyell 230 Sign 8.5×14 (PDF, 3,825.7KB)
Prostitution and Drug Complaint Form, Reading, PA Police Department:
Community Feedback for Town Hall Meeting
- Compilation of community complaints about prostitution, Portland, OR: Portland Neighborhood 82nd Ave Summary of Feedback on Prostitution Problems (PDF, 100.2KB)
Neighborhood-Led Task Force Reports on Prostitution & Demand
- Buffalo, NY: Buffalo Prostitution Task Force Report: Workable Solutions, 1999 (PDF, 3,129.9KB)
- Vallejo, CA: Vallejo Prostitution Task Force Report to City Council, 2011 (DOCX, 29.5KB)
Letter to Mayor From Neighborhood Organization
Sample News Reports on Neighborhood Action
- Baltimore, MD:
- New Haven, CT:
- Oakland, CA:
- Richmond, VA:
- Vallejo, CA:
- Vallejo public, police team to reduce prostitution
- Prostitution Task Force Discusses Controversial Recommendations
- One City Takes On a Plague of Prostitution
- Vallejo residents demand decisive action now in prostitution fight
- Vallejo Neighborhood Bands Together To Fight Prostitution
- York, J. Vallejo task force studies ways to deter crime, help prostitutes in need. Times Herald, January 3, 2011.
- Prostitutes Flood Vallejo as Bankrupt City Slashes Police Force by a Third