This intervention involves organized, community-led initiatives. Neighborhood action can involve activities such as routinely forwarding tips to police, conducting citizen patrols, operating citizen-led blogs, or launching billboard campaigns. Some neighborhood organizations participate in “community impact panels” or make presentations at john schools.
To learn more about these types of community-led interventions, access the resources provided below.
Overview of Neighborhood Action Against Sex Buyers in the U.S.
Materials from Neighborhood Group in Rochester, New York
- Form for residents to provide johns’ license plates and tips to police: Lyell 230 Tip Sheet (DOC, 97.3KB)
- Press release about Rochester’s “Dear John” campaign: Lyell Press Release, July 6, 2009 (PDF, 74.7KB)
- Print image for Rochester’s “Dear John” campaign: Lyell 230 Sign 8.5×14 (PDF, 3,825.7KB)
Prostitution and Drug Complaint Form, Reading, PA Police Department:
Community Feedback for Town Hall Meeting
- Compilation of community complaints about prostitution, Portland, OR: Portland Neighborhood 82nd Ave Summary of Feedback on Prostitution Problems (PDF, 100.2KB)
Neighborhood-Led Task Force Reports on Prostitution & Demand
- Buffalo, NY: Buffalo Prostitution Task Force Report: Workable Solutions, 1999 (PDF, 3,129.9KB)
- Vallejo, CA: Vallejo Prostitution Task Force Report to City Council, 2011 (DOCX, 29.5KB)
Letter to Mayor From Neighborhood Organization
Sample News Reports on Neighborhood Action
- Baltimore, MD:
- New Haven, CT:
- Oakland, CA:
- Richmond, VA:
- Vallejo, CA:
- Vallejo public, police team to reduce prostitution
- Prostitution Task Force Discusses Controversial Recommendations
- One City Takes On a Plague of Prostitution
- Vallejo residents demand decisive action now in prostitution fight
- Vallejo Neighborhood Bands Together To Fight Prostitution
- York, J. Vallejo task force studies ways to deter crime, help prostitutes in need. Times Herald, January 3, 2011.
- Prostitutes Flood Vallejo as Bankrupt City Slashes Police Force by a Third