John schools are education programs for men arrested for buying sex, and are located in over 70 cities (and serve over 140 cities and counties) in the U.S. The schools can be structured as a sentencing option and mandatory participation can be combined with other criminal sanctions, or may be offered as a diversion option, resulting in reduced penalties or dismissed charges. John schools can be one-day classes or designed as multiple-session counseling programs. The programs are financed by the fees or fines that the arrested johns must pay (typically, about $400) for soliciting sex. The fees or fines usually cover all program costs, and often produce excess revenue used to fund survivor recovery programs. In addition to on-site classroom participation, widely available versions of john schools can be accessed from any location as online courses or as a recorded presentation.
A typical curriculum includes these topics:
- Health consequences
- Impact on communities
- Impact on survivors (testimony from women who have been trafficked or prostituted)
- Victimization risks and impact on johns
- Legal consequences
Other topics presented in john schools include:
- Male development, decision making, and responsibility
- Developing and maintaining healthy relationships
- Anger management
- Sex trafficking
- Dynamics of pimping
- Sex addiction
- Impact on spouses and children
- Links and distinctions between prostitution and human trafficking
Variations on the one-time classroom model include:
- Multiple individual or group counseling sessions (e.g., Salt Lake City, UT; Seattle, WA)
- A video john school in which a DVD is presented to arrested johns while they await processing (Cook County, IL)
- Online versions of john schools (Logan Social Services, based in Murfreesboro, TN; Life Wisdom Foundation, based in Las Vegas, NV, American Integrity Courses, based in TX))
- A “roadside john school,” involved a condensed presentation given to men suspected of soliciting but who were not arrested (Tucson, AZ ; 1998-1999)
Overview of John School Programs in the U.S.
- John School Overview from National Assessment (PDF, 183 KB)
To find U.S. sites which have employed this tactic, visit our locations page.
To help start, improve or sustain a john school, access the resources provided below. Some materials are also available in Spanish.
Overview of John Schools in the U.S.
Summary of Key Traits of U.S. John Schools
Ordinances and State Laws Specifically Authorizing John Schools
- Atlanta Ordinance Amendment to Create John School Program at Municipal Court
- Cincinnati City Council Motion
- Nevada-2017-AB260 Authorizing John Schools
- Seattle Municipal Ordinance Authorizing John School
- San Francisco – CA Statute for FOPP John School
- Texas Bill Authorizing Local Creation of John Schools
John School Eligibility Criteria & Program Requirements
John School Referral Forms & Prosecution Agreements
Memorandum of Understanding Among John School Program Partners
John School Descriptions: Curricula, Agendas, Outlines
- Buffalo John School Overview
- Fresno Prostitution Abatement/Rehabilitation Project Overview
- Indianapolis Red Zone Program Overview
- Kansas City Veronica’s Voice John School (OAR Program) Overview
- Los Angeles John School Class Agenda
- Los Angeles John School Web Page
- Louisiana John School Website (Shreveport)
- Minneapolis & St. Paul John School Curricula Outlines
- Newport News John School Program Overview and Curriculum Outline
- Norfolk Sheriff’s Office Prostitution Intervention Program (John School”)
- Portland PPOP Description, Lola Greene Baldwin Foundation (2003-2005)
- Portland’s Current John School Program Agenda (Sex Buyer Accountability and Diversion)
- Portland John Schools: Summary Table of Key Traits of Three Programs, 1996-2012
- Richmond Virginia John School Program Overview (English)
- Richmond Virginia John School Program Overview (Spanish)
- Salt Lake City John School Curriculum Outline
- San Antonio John School Brochure May 2015
- San Diego John School Summary – National Assessment
- San Diego PIP Overview Information Sheet
- San Diego PIP Overview Information Sheet – Spanish
- San Francisco FOPP Full Curriculum
- San Francisco FOPP Curriculum Summary and Observations
- Seattle John School Outline
- Shreveport/Bossier City John School Outline
- Tennessee First Offender Prostitution Program Website
- Tucson STD Program Speaking Points (“Roadside John School”)
- Waco John School Overview
John School Class Handouts
- Los Angeles John School Health Presentation Outline
- Los Angeles John School Handout Sex Addiction Screener
- San Diego PIP HIV Testing Handout
- San Diego PIP HIV Testing Handout – Spanish
- San Diego PIP STD Clinic Referral Handout
- San Diego PIP STD Clinic Referral Handout – Spanish
- San Francisco FOPP Handout Sex Addicts Anonymous
- San Francisco FOPP Handout SF Department Public Health
- Worcester MA CARD Program SLAA.Sex Addiction Pamphlet
- Worcester MA CARD Program SLAA.Sex Addiction Assessment
- Worcester MA CARD Program Handout Local STD Clinics
- Worcester MA CARD Program Health Quiz
John School Class Evaluations, Surveys, Reflection Forms
Offender Processing Schematics
John School Reports and Program Evaluations
- Shively et al., Abt Associates: Evaluation of the San Francisco First Offender Prostitution Program (Full Report)
- Shively et al., Abt Associates: Evaluation of the San Francisco First Offender Prostitution Program (Summary)
- Evaluation of the Portland, Oregon John School Program: Monto, M.A., & Garcia, S. (2001). Recidivism among the customers of female street prostitutes: Do intervention programs help? Western Criminology Review, 3(2).
- Summary of John School Programs, Report by the Chicago Alliance Against Sexual Exploitation: http://g.virbcdn.com/_f/files/2f/FileItem-149841-Johnsschoolreport.pdf
- Sawyer, S., Simon Rosser, B.R., & Schroeder, A. (1998). A brief psychoeducational program for men who patronize prostitutes. Journal of Offender Rehabilitation, 26 ¾:111-125.
- Van Brunschot, E. (2003). Community policing and ‘John Schools.’ Canadian Review of Sociology and Anthropology, 40(2):215–232.
- Wahab, S. (2006). Evaluating the usefulness of a prostitution diversion project. Qualitative Social Work, 5:67-92.
- Wortley, S., Fischer, B., & Webster, C. (2002). Vice lessons: A survey of prostitution offenders enrolled in the Toronto John School diversion program. Canadian Journal of Criminology. October:369-402.
- ECPAT-USA, Inc. (2006). Schools for Johns: Addressing the Demand for Commercial Sex. Bangkok,Thailand: End Child Prostitution, Child Pornography and Trafficking of Children for Sexual Purposes.
- Fresno Police Department. Undated. Project PAR: Prostitution Abatement / Rehabilitation. Fresno California. Available at: www.popcenter.org/Library/Goldstein/1999/99-20.PDF.
- Kennedy, A., Klein, C., Gorzalka, B.B., & Yuille, J.C. (2004). Attitude change following a diversion program for men who solicit sex. Journal of Offender Rehabilitation. 40.5:41-60.
- Report by the American Prosecutors Research Institute: APRI Report – Unwelcome Guests. A summary of the Indianapolis “Red Zone” john school begins on page 11.
- Article by therapist operating a john school in Denver, 1999-2011: Holtby, M. (2012). Johns Schools and Why Men Pay For Sex
- Robin Valenzuela (2016) The Nashville John School: Affective Governance and the Reintegrative Shaming Approach. Human Organization: Fall, Vol. 75, No. 3, pp. 249-257.
News Reports on Early Education Programs for Sex Buyers
News Reports on Contemporary John Schools
- Brooklyn, NY:
- Columbus, OH:
- Corpus Christi, TX:
- Dallas, TX:
- Dayton, OH:
- Eau Claire, WI:
- “Prostitution Sting Leads to Two Guilty Pleas”, Eau Claire Leader-Telegram, July 13 2012.
- “District Attorney Aims to Reduce Prostitution Cases with ‘John School'”, NBC/WEAU-TV 13, August 2 2012.
- “‘John School’ Used to Help Prevent Prostitution in Eau Claire”, Wisconsin Public Radio, August 16 2012.
- “Eau Claire County Hopes ‘John School’ Will Curb Prostitution”, FOX/WLUK-TV 11, August 17 2012.
- “‘John School’ Aims to Help Cut Down on Prostitution”, WTAQ-AM 1360, August 17 2012.
- “Regional Briefs: Eau Claire County Class Aims to Dissuade ‘Johns'”, Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, August 17 2012.
- “Man Gets Deferred Deal in Prostitution Case”, Eau Claire Leader-Telegram, March 21 2013.
- https://chippewa.com/dunnconnect/news/local/fahl-pleads-guilty-to-soliciting-prostitution (2018)
- http://www.leadertelegram.com/News/Local-Briefs/03/30/ (2018)
- Fort Collins, CO:
- http://www.reporterherald.com/ci_31651276/fort-collins-police-fight-human-trafficking-enforcement-education (2018)
- https://northfortynews.com/94350-2/ (2018)
- https://www.coloradoan.com/fort-collins-police-conduct-prostitution-sting-attracting-hundreds-effort-reduce-trafficking (2018)
- Las Vegas, NV:
- Los Angeles, CA:
- Nashville, TN:
- Naples, FL:
- New York, NY
- Newport News, VA:
- Portland and Multnomah County, OR:
- Rochester & Ohlmsted County, MN:
- Seattle, WA:
- St. Paul, MN:
- San Antonio, TX:
- San Diego, CA:
- San Francisco, CA:
- Shreveport/Bossier City, LA:
- Tacoma, Fife, Pierce County, Lakewood, WA:
- Toledo, OH:
- Waco, TX:
News Reports on John Schools
- “Corpus Christi police arrest six johns during prostitution sting operation.” Caller Times, March 30, 2018.
- “Curing ‘Johns’: Ten-week course aims to change sex buyers’ lives.” King 5 News, January 22, 2018.
- “Six Charged in Human Trafficking-Related Sting”, Superior Telegram, August 26 2014.
- “Convicted of Prostitution, Three Ordered to Attend ‘John School’ after Sting”, Superior Telegram, May 27 2014.
- “Henrico ‘John School’ gives prostitution first offenders a second chance.” Richmond Times-Dispatch, February 23, 2014.
- “John school lesson: Prostitution has victims.” The Columbus Dispatch, January 13, 2013
- PBS, May 30,2008: “John Schools:” Can men who hire prostitutes be reformed?” http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/422/prostitution.html
- KPCC, Southern California Public Radio: “Reducing demand for prostitution through john schools: Educating and preventing repeat customers.” http://www.scpr.org/news/2012/07/10/33182/reducing-demand-prostitution-through-johns-school/